The mission of the Yavapai Symphony Association is to provide high-quality classical music performances and to develop, promote, and enhance classical music appreciation in Yavapai County.
The Association will achieve a portion of the Mission by
- Developing revenue streams in support of music scholarships for the advancement of classical music appreciation and talent development for young musicians.
To this end, the Yavapai Symphony Association Music Scholarship Award has been established as an annual project of the Association to be funded from annual accumulated earnings from the Endowment Fund of the Yavapai Symphony Association (the Endowment Fund), scholarship grants, and patron scholarship donations. The accumulated earnings of the Endowment Fund, scholarship grants, and patron scholarship donations, as of May 1 of each year, shall be transferred to the YSA Scholarship Award Fund. In the event no scholarships are awarded in any year, the earned income shall be retained in the YSA Scholarship Award Fund and be available for scholarships to be awarded in future years.
Consistent with the Mission Statement, applicants for awards shall be limited to residents of Yavapai County (including the city of Sedona). Applicants shall be on track to graduate from an accredited secondary school as determined by the State of Arizona or shall be a full time student at an accredited institution of higher learning. Applicants must be music majors and plan to enroll or be enrolled in an accredited institution of higher learning. Preferential consideration will be given to applicants with a strong interest in classical music.
Scholarship Terms And Award Criteria
Scholarship awards shall have a term of one (1) year with the option for recipients to reapply in subsequent years. There may be multiple recipients in any year. The Scholarship Award Recommendation Committee shall determine the amount of any individual award. Scholarship Awards shall be based on the committee’s evaluation of the applicant’s application and supporting documentation, financial need, letters of recommendation, music education goals and accomplishments, and interview with the Scholarship Award Recommendation Committee.
Applicant must complete the YSA Music Scholarship Application Form and attach the following supporting documentation.
- A copy of the applicant’s high school transcript or college transcript if applicant is currently attending a college, university, or conservatory.
- Two letters of recommendation, preferably from the applicant’s music teacher or ensemble director.
- A resume of applicant’s participation in high school, college, and community arts music programs.
- Applicant’s parents/guardian must complete the YSA Scholarship Financial Need Form.
- Award finalist must perform for the Scholarship Award Recommendation Committee to document their performance level. Finalist may schedule their performance during Winter or Spring breaks (December or March) but not later than March 17, 2013.
- Award finalist will be interviewed by the Scholarship Award Recommendation Committee on the date scheduled for their performance in December or March.
Scholarship Award Recommendation Committee
The Executive Committee of the Yavapai Symphony Association at the beginning of each concert season shall appoint a Scholarship Award Recommendation Committee of at least three (3) including:
- President, Yavapai Symphony Association or his/her designate
- One or more members of the YSA Board of Directors
- One or more individuals with a music education or music performance background; however, such committee members shall disclose any conflict of interest with an applicant’s education
Scholarship Timetable & Deadlines
The Scholarship Award Recommendation Committee shall be responsible for announcing and publicizing the 2013 Music Scholarship Award application process and timetable.
September 2012 – The Scholarship Award Recommendation Committee will disseminate information regarding the scholarship award application process and timetable to the following organizations and groups:
1) All Yavapai County High Schools
2) Music Education Programs at the University of Arizona, Arizona State University, Northern Arizona University, and Yavapai College.
Applications procedures and forms are posted on the YSA website www.yavapaisymphony.org. Applications for 2013 Music Scholarship Awards may be submitted any time after September 1, 2012 but not later than February 1, 2013.
Applications received after the February 1, 2013 deadline will be rejected.
December 2012 – Applications received by December 1, 2012 will be reviewed by the Scholarship Award Recommendation Committee. Well qualified applicants (Award Finalists) will be invited to perform for the Scholarship Award Recommendation Committee, in Prescott, to enable the Committee to assess the applicant’s performance level. The Committee will interview the applicant following his or her performance. The Committee will schedule these performances and interviews in Prescott from December 14, 2012 through January 6, 2013.
February 2013– The deadline for submitting applications for a 2013 Scholarship Award is February 1, 2013.The Scholarship Award recommendation Committee will review applications received after December 1, 2012. Well qualified applicants (Award Finalists) will be invited to perform for the Scholarship Award Recommendation Committee in Prescott during Spring Break from March 10-17, 2013. If an applicant is unable to schedule a performance and interview in Prescott, the applicant may petition the Committee to accept a DVD or video recording to document their performance level. Any applicant unable to perform for the Committee in person will be interviewed by telephone conference call.
Scholarship Award Recommendations– On or about April 1, 2013, the Scholarship Award Recommendation Committee will conclude the evaluation and selection process and request the Yavapai Symphony Association Board of Directors to approve funding for the 2013 Scholarship Award Program.The Scholarship award winners will be announced at the final concert of the season on May 19, 2013.
Intent of the Scholarship
It is the intent of the Yavapai Symphony Association that award funds be used to offset the cost of higher education. Scholarship funds must be used for tuition, books, and room and board while attending the recipient’s accredited degree granting institution. Scholarship funds are not to be used for purchase of instruments or other musical equipment.
Scholarship funds will not be available for distribution until July 1, 2013.
Scholarship awards will be paid directly to the financial aid office of the recipient’s accredited institution. It is the responsibility of the award winner to notify the Yavapai Symphony Association once final acceptance and institutional commitment has been made. Award recipients will provide the name of the college, university, or conservatory he or she will be attending and must provide in writing the name and address of the institution’s financial aid office.
It is the responsibility of each scholarship recipient to report gift income, if applicable, for tax purposes.
Please Note: Applicants must be residents of Yavapai County (including the city of Sedona), Arizona.
Application forms may be downloaded from the Yavapai Symphony Association website: www.yavapaisymphony.org
The Applicant should complete and mail the following documents:
- A completed YSA Music Scholarship Application Form. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THIS PDF FORM
- A YSA Financial Need Form. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THIS PDF FORM
- A typewritten resume of applicant’s participation in high school, college, and community arts music programs.
- A copy of the the applicant’s high school transcripts and college transcript if applicant is currently attending an institution of higher learning (Note: Transcripts may be sent directly by the institution of higher learning).
Applicants should have two (2) letters of recommendation, preferably from the applicant’s music teacher or ensemble director, sent directly to the Scholarship Award Recommendation Committee at the address noted below.
Applicants should mail the completed application and required attachments to the following address:
Yavapai Symphony Association
Attn: Scholarship Award Recommendation Committee
PO Box 2333
Prescott, AZ 86302